Monday 8 April 2013

A Study in Scarlet

I made this card for my eldest son Gavin who turned 20 yesterday.
He wants to be an actor.  This has been a dream of his for some years now (unlike the brief World Cup summer of 2006 during which he wanted to be a footballer).  He is fortunate enough to have the brains to succeed at anything he wants and the looks as well (though as his mum I could be somewhat biased).  I only wish he had chosen a profession which didn't appear to rely so heavily on chance.
Anyway as befits this talented son of mine, this card is full of imagery. The Play Poster image (a reference to his choice of career) is from StempelWinkel, as is the background Music score (a reference to his musical ability). The background Script stamp is from Crafty Individuals (he loves to write poetry and short stories). The bird and branch were cut with the Bird Branch die by Tim Holtz (budding performer - aargh now I'm getting corny).  The Hand and Admit One images are from Tim Holtz Steampunk CS107. The little crown was cut with a Movers and Shapers die also from Tim Holtz.  The filmstrip is a very old Sizzix decorative strip which I distressed.  The little words "dream", "DISCOVER" and "Delight" were cut from a Crafty Individuals sentiment block.
If you look really closely you will see a Harlequin pattern in the background.  This was stamped very subtly with the WMS Heirloom Patterns set using Antique Linen distress ink.
As he prepares for his final school exams in a few short weeks time it is a time for reflection - not just for him but for me too.  Where have those 20 years gone. I am reminded of the song Sunrise, Sunset from Fiddler on the Roof partiularly this line

I don't remember growing older when did they


4 comments:

  1. You're allowed to be biased about his talents and looks...that's what mums do!!
    I love all the layers and different elements...definitely theatrical.
    My daughter is 20 this summer...your song quote is very apt I feel!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fabulous K. I love that red it does make it dramatic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, the bottom line on my blog, Kate - where indeed does the time go? Good for you to recognize it now and live in the moment for the next 20, 'cause, trust me, they will go by just as fast!! Sigh. You have made a beautiful card for this time of transition for your son (and you)!! I wish him all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a Fiddler on the Roof fan and love that song for the exact same reasons you mention, the passing of the days : sunrise, sunset ..... So much thought and love have gone into this card, I hope he appreciated your efforts :-)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you !!!