Friday 13 September 2013

Fair Winds


After last month's Waltzing Mouse Pyjama Party I decided I could not live without the WMS Ocean Bound set any longer - and can you blame me.  Not only is it chock full of lovely images but the sentiment are just fabulous too.

I started thinking about this card last Saturday as soon as the first Waltzing Mouse Fanatics Challenge was announced - I was desperate to play along as I've really missed the weekly challenges and think it's wonderful that Tara and Deborah have started up these challenges.


Initially I just had the idea of merging the two different coloured Zig Zag Stripe backgrounds together with no real purpose for the card.  My plan was to break open the new Ocean Bound set which had arrived the day before and experiment.

I had the Tim Holtz Gear cut out from a previous project and I thought it kind of resembled a ship's wheel and would make a good mount for this image from the set.  After cutting out the image with a Spellbinders Circle I covered it with Versamark and UTEE'd it.  I loved the effect - especially mounted on the "ship's wheel".


Next I went searching for a sentiment and my eye settled upon this Fair Winds sentiment again from Ocean Bound.  I used a really old Spellbinders nestability die to cut it out so that it resembled a ship's sail.  Now the card had a purpose - my son leaves to study in London soon and this sentiment sums up all my anxieties about this move of his.


I wanted to make it an easel card so I cut 6 die cut Sizzlit anchors and layered them together so I had a stopper for the easel card, stamped a WMS Pinstriped Background (I stamped off once so it wasn't too heavy) and a couple of images and another sentiment from WMS Tying the Knot.  Naturally I couldn't leave the envelope bare and stamped this gorgeously detailed anchor from Ocean Bound.

I like to think that when Gavin is settled in London he'll have this card in pride of place in his digs and think about his old mum from time to time, 'cause I'll be thinking of (and worrying about) him.

11 comments:

  1. Love your card! I can't blame you for not wanting to do without this set. I love that you used the anchor to open up the easel card! Beautiful stamped background too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant!! I love the colours you've used, the distressed chevrons works so well on the background and you're absolutely right that the die cut gear is a great background for the image. Love this card. Thanks so much for joining us in our first challenge, I do hope you'll be back to play again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful easel card and envelope! Love your design!!
    Your comment on my card about it making you seasick made me laugh! I felt the same way when I made it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is super for a guy card and I love how you explained all the bits that went into making it. The UTEE treatment for the ship is great. I like the idea of an anchor stopper, too. Hope his move goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow! What an awesome man card, Kate. Flawless stamping too.
    xxx Asha
    Sunny Summer Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic card, that's what I could have done with last week on my ship had I been closer :) Thank you so much for the comment you left on my blog, it warmed my heart. YOu are indeed a great friend and a very talented one too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful card, love the anchors and great stamping :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well you're easel idea is totally genius and the gear die had me fooled I really thought it was a ships wheel. The merged stamped background is so well lined up - flawless!
    Thanks so much for joining the fanatics for our first challenge - we hope you'll be back to play often :-)
    Tara
    Waltzingmouse Fanatics DT

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a fabulous nautical card! I love the easel card shape, and the anchor is doing its job well! Fab card!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I love these sets too. Love the clever design and the colours that you've used. The shiny ship is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this easel card Kate! what a great zig zag background with the ship and the anchors! You've used this wonderful set to great advantage!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you !!!