Thursday 10 October 2013

Flipping Flapper


I just bought a Sizzix Flip-it die and I have to admit it was a bit disappointing - so glad I didn't pay full price for it or I would have been really flipping out.  Anyway while searching on the internet how to use it I realised you don't actually need it to make flip it cards - you can get the same effect from your normal thin cut dies. So I thought I'd try this technique out with the fabulous Waltzing Mouse Opera Tags set which I think co-ordinate perfectly with this Flapper Girl image from Waltzing Mouse Putting on the Ritz set (which I could absolutely not say no to when it came out last month - it took every ounce of resolve to wait 5 days so it would go on the next month's Master Card bill).

This is the most basic of the flip it cards so a good one to start with and works with any size card that will fit through your machine.  I've used an A6 card here which was pre scored.  I just created another score line half way between the middle fold and the left end of the card (or just fold the front of the card back on itself if your card stock is not too stiff).  With the two folds on your left (mountain and valley) place your die so that it's centred on the left fold line (this is only really necessary if your die has a centre line like the one I've used here does) and position the bottom edge of your cutting pad on this line as well.  Send it through your cutting machine so you only get a cut on the left half of the die.  You will have a fold line through your flipping section but this is easily hidden behind complete die cuts added to the front and back of this flipping section.  And that's all there is to it, seriously how easy is this and if like me you have a couple of Spellbinders sets in your stash the possibilities are huge.  And such a fun interactive card.


The sentiment on the back of the flip it section is also from the Puttin' on the Ritz set.  


I just decorated the card with some pretty paper, a bit of bling and a WPLUS9 scalloped border in black glitter.  Don't forget to stamp before you assemble - you'll find it tricker afterwards.

I'm entering this is card in the Make My Monday Challenge, where the theme this week is Elegant Ladies.

Thanks for stopping by.  Hope you have fun with this technique.

5 comments:

  1. Lovely card! Gorgeous stamps and a very elegant design!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful card and great tip must give this a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely card Kate :) I like the flipping flapper idea a lot, maybe will try it some day :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea it looks wonderful and I love that pink.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How clever to make a flip card - totally relevent to that era :) Love it. Do I need the art deco WMS stamps now too ?

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you !!!