Monday 6 April 2015

Happy Easter everyone


I hope you had a wonderful Easter.  I was so inspired by the Easter Vigil Service last Saturday night that I went home and made these cards for my fellow choir members.  Which basically meant I hardly slept before I had to be there again in the morning for the Easter Sunday service - worth it though.

I started with the chevron backgrounds - WMS Zig Zag Backgrounder.  I just love the distressed look of this background, it makes any stamping faults look like they're meant to be.  I started using a tiny cat's eye stamp pad, but that's a lot of stamp to ink up (8 times) so switched to a larger pad which was a brighter shade of blue - in case you're wondering about the differences in backgrounds.




The eggs were stamped with Sarah Hurley Special Editions Pebbles by my brilliantly talented friend and mixed media artist Jaine Drake and embossed with white.  I then used a combination of Distress Inks to colour the egg - Picked Raspberry, Ocean Blue, Peacock Feathers and Spiced Marmalade.  The bow was distressed with Picked Raspberry and coated with Glossy Accents.



The Spelbinders Resplendent Rectangle was stamped with a bargain bin stamp I picked up (I think last year in Australia at Riot Arts stores) and embossed with gold for extra swankiness.  I then distressed the  panel with Picked Raspberry on the top and Ocean Blue on the bottom - to represent the Luxembourgish flag !!!

The real reason the Easter celebration was so wonderful this year was that my super talented friend Sonya carved a cave out of polystyrene and painted it to look like an Easter tomb and garden, complete with round stone on the front rolled out of the way to reveal an empty bench inside with the discarded cloths and stream springing forth from from the entrance.  She even fitted it with back lighting so that after the initial lighting of the Easter candle, the light shone forth from an empty tomb.  

Sonya's not one to shirk from a challenge and is great with miniatures, some of you may remember her Miniature Moments which I shared previously, but at about 3 feet high, 5 feet wide and 6 feet deep, this was hardly miniature.    I just hope I can get some photos of it to to share with you - there were certainly a lot of people admiring it and photographing it after the service.  Hats off to Father Ed as well, who had to convince a rather staid set of priests that this was a good idea !!!

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Easter was as blessed as mine,

Kate

Edit : Here are photos as promised of my friend Sonya's Easter Garden and empty Tomb.  The first is of the finished and lit tomb and the second is with the proud artist Sonya Heffernan and her husband and labourer John Heffernan during the construction.


1 comment:

I'd love to hear from you !!!